preparations towards becoming
Microsoft Showcase School
getting started on using I
As part of the required information needed in the nominations of the Microsoft Showcase School are:
- School leader’s LinkedIn profile link
- School’s facebook profile link
- School’s twitter profile link.
Thus school need to prepare all of these social media link and continuously updating with relevant and useful information at these media accounts. Preferably school can appoint a small team to handle and updating these social media accounts to ensure it is updated.
minecraft education edition
what is minecraft education edition ?
Minecraft: Education Edition is an open-world game that promotes creativity, collaboration, and problem-solving in an immersive environment where the only limit is your imagination.
- WHAT CAN YOU DO IN MINECRAFT: EDUCATION EDITION?
- Collaborate on projects with classmates
- Document your work, and share in class.
- Personalize your game
- Effectively communicate learning objectives in-gamePlay in a secure environment along with your classroom community
- Ask helpful guides for more information, including digital resources
- A game-based learning platform that promotes creativity, collaboration, and problem-solving in an immersive digital environment. Educators in more than 115 countries are using Minecraft: Education Edition across the curriculum
- Through project-based lessons, students build critical 21st century skills like collaboration, creative problem solving and digital citizenship.
- A set of tutorials and game features brings subjects to life in Minecraft: Education Edition and supports educators in classroom management and formative assessment
- From computer science to mixed reality, Minecraft: Education Edition provides endless opportunities for exploration, storytelling and digital learning
how can school start in using minecraft education edition ?
The easiest route to start is by using minecraft hour of code lessons such as this one https://education.minecraft.net/lessons/minecraft-hour-of-code. There are also lots of tutorial and sample files where you can start following as you create your own world inside minecraft.
1. Follow the tutorials and prep work as prepared :
2.Watch the intro video as shared in the website : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du7w1sCi6C8&feature=youtu.be
3. Follow the lesson plan shared as it highlights the steps needed to be taken by the students.
what is makecode ?
Microsoft MakeCode brings computer science to life for all students with fun projects, immediate results, and both block and text editors for learners at different levels. There are wide variety of products and tools in using makecode and some only needed your computer to start your journey on using makecode.
what is makecode arcade ?
how can school start in using makecode ?
The easiest route to start is by using makecode arcade as you only need computer and internet. There is also makecode arcade offline, where you can download and install in computer so it doesnt need internet to work. There are also lots of tutorial and sample files where you can start creating simple games following the tutorials. Below are samples on how the games are created :
1.choose from the list of tutorial games at https://arcade.makecode.com/
2.follow the step by step tutorial to create the game
3. You can then save the game or download to meowbit programming console
what is hacking STEM ?
It is an initiative done by Microsoft by providing access to their online library for downloadable, hands-on, teacher-tested projects and activities that use everyday materials to make STEM affordable, accessible, and fun for everyone.
Range of activities from various subjects
Each activity comes with tool kit that provide all the instructions, and guidance on how to do the activity. Some of the activity doesnt even require tools and practical to be done with the students.
how can school start in using hacking STEM ?
The easiest route to start is by choosing the simplest activity that can be done and that is the “how fast do humans run?” as it doesnt require any tools or micro controllers.
1.Access the information page of the lesson at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/education-workshop/comparing-speeds.aspx
2.follow the step by step tutorial as shared in their OneNote lesson page
3. Download the excel template as shared in the onenote , open and fill in with the details.
virtual field trip
what is Virtual Field Trip ?
Virtual field trip is similar in ideas having a field trip but instead of physically going out to the venue, but you are using technology to experience the field trip. It allows the learners to engage with and to learn about authentic artifacts and to explore places important to their discipline of study and consistent with their individual learning needs.
how can school start in doing virtual field trip ?
By following the weblink below, it provide 25 virtual field trip that can be done with the students. They are also scheduled virtual field trip conducted by Microsoft known as the Flipgrid Live Events that can be accessed here.
1.Access the information page of the lesson at https://www.weareteachers.com/best-virtual-field-trips
2. Choose the virtual field trip that you want to carry out with the students
3. Watch the virtual field trip with the students. Some site offer teachers guide and pack that complement the virtual field trip.
hour of code
what is hour of code ?
The Hour of Code started as a one-hour introduction to computer science, designed to demystify “code”, to show that anybody can learn the basics, and to broaden participation in the field of computer science. It has since become a worldwide effort to celebrate computer science, starting with 1-hour coding activities but expanding to all sorts of community efforts. Check out the tutorials and activities. This grassroots campaign is supported by over 400 partners and 200,000 educators worldwide.
Watch the video to know more about it
how can school start in participating in hour of code ?
The teacher can start by visiting the how to page where it listed down the list of action and resources to carry out the hour of code. There are also teachers guide in each of the activity with option to carry out even offline activity.
2. You may choose Minecraft hour of code to start with, and you can even download an offline version of the app if you are worry about connection issue